ACC7515 - HEALTHCARE COST MGT AND PERFORMANCE MEAS
HEALTHCARE COST MGT AND PERFORMANCE MEAS
ACC7515 Healthcare Cost Management and Performance Measurement
3 credit elective
All organizations have some level of performance measurement, the basic purpose of which is to assist management in the allocation of its resources so as to facilitate the attainment of the goals and objectives of the organization. Additionally, hospital administrators and other healthcare management professionals struggle with identifying actionable intelligence stemming from a lack of credible operational and resource cost information. The goal of the course is to teach you spot underperforming operational areas and prioritize actions to address these, with a flexibility and agility in execution that can decrease costs, improve service quality, and boost operating capacity.
Accepting that the importance of accurate, reliable, and actionable cost accounting information may have never been greater, the primary emphasis of the class will draw from an understanding of the main concepts of operations management but focus on resource cost management. The secondary emphasis of the course focuses on managing and measuring performance and incorporates materials from accounting, control, management science, strategy, and behavioral science.
Specifically, this course will investigate the concepts, tools, and practices of managerial accounting that support the functions of planning and control within a healthcare provider framework. Specifically, the course will concentrate on the following areas:
(1) The various nature of costs
(2) Determining costs relevant to a specific decision
(3) The assignment of resource costs to objects of management interest (cost objects)
(4) Planning for a short-term (one year) horizon
(5) Evaluation of actual results relative to management's plan
(6) Evaluating the cost/benefit of acquiring long-term assets
The course employs the case study method and requires students to apply the knowledge and skills learned in the core courses. The material is broad in scope and takes a holistic view of the business organization.
This course builds on the material covered in the core courses of the MBA program. The pedagogical content of the core courses serves as foundational material. The relevant material from these core courses is not duplicated; it is enhanced. The course is applied and integrative in nature, and is particularly relevant to students interested in the pursuing opportunities related to the healthcare sector, but the concepts can be translated and related to virtually any industry. Consequently, this material should be useful to anyone filling the following roles:
- Managers with direct financial responsibilities
- Financial planners
- Cost analysts
- Budget controllers who are moving to wider responsibilities
- Managers who need to know more about business planning, budgeting, costing terms and techniques.
- Managers who have to plan, cost and budget new business ventures.
- Basically, managers and supervisors from every business discipline and department who have to run departments and plan, cost and budget during their business lives.
Evening: ACC7010 or MBA8530 or ACC7201
Fast Track: MBA7325 or ACC7201
One Year: MBA7210 or ACC7201
Two Tear: MBA7320 or ACC7303 or ACC7201