Reducing your waste is an easy way to cut your footprint.
Be Forward Thinking
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle is a forward-thinking plan for zero waste. Instead of starting recycling/composting (the end), start at the beginning by reducing.
While recycling and composting are sustainable solutions for waste, reducing your consumption of single-use products and reusing materials will have the highest impact on reducing your waste footprint.
- Choose products with less packaging
- Use the scan and send feature on the printer instead of making a copy
- Print double sided
- Use Babson’s bottle filling stations to refill your water bottle instead of using bottled water. Find the stations in Forest, Horn, Olin, Reynolds, Park Manor North, Park Manor West, Putney, Tomasso, Trim, and Webster.
Choosing to recycle your waste is the fastest and easiest way to cut your waste footprint. To see what can be recycled in the blue bin, check this list.
Materials that you can drop off for recycling at the Sustainability Office:
- Personal Care Products: Hair Care Products, Skin Care Products, Cosmetics Products
- Oral Care Products: Toothpaste tubes & caps, toothbrushes, floss containers
- Pens, Pencils, Markers, & Caps
- Tape Dispensers & Cores
- Brita Products: Pitchers, Filters, Dispensers
- Purr Filters
- Gift Cards
The Sustainability Office collects these materials to be recycled through programs such as Terracycle, or directly with the manufacturers.
To find out how to recycle something not on this list near you, search for a solution on Earth911.
About one-third of the waste we produce is organic waste from food scraps and yard trimmings, and should be composted. It’s easy to start composting at home instead of sending these rich materials to the landfill. By composting, you will be turning this waste into rich soil and slashing your waste footprint. For resources on composting at home, the EPA has an introduction.
To see what you can compost at Babson, check this list .