Friday, September 30th
Babson Breakaway Challenge: Finale
Hynes Convention Center, 900 Boylston St, Boston
12 p.m. – 1:30 p.m.
Registration is required - https://www.eventbrite.com/e/demo-day-tickets-26577524090#tickets
Join Babson College and Breakaway for the Babson Breakaway Challenge Finale - a fast paced, public event where Challenge finalists will pitch to a panel including HUBweek Chair Linda Pizzuti Henry, Breakaway President John Burns, Founder and Managing Director of Boston Seed Capital, LLC Nicole M. Stata, and Founder and CEO of Pantegrion Capital Alicia Syrett.
A keynote address will be given by Sue Siegel, CEO of GE Ventures, GE’s growth and innovation business.
The Babson Breakaway Challenge was created by Susan Duffy, executive director at Babson’s Center for Women's Entrepreneurial Leadership, and John Burns, in direct response to Babson’s Diana Project report, Women Entrepreneurs 2014: Bridging the Gender Gap in Venture Capital (pdf). The research revealed that while women entrepreneurs are majority owners of nearly 36 percent of all U.S. businesses, they receive only 2.7 percent of all venture capital funding.
The Babson Breakaway Challenge is the first and only competition to promote gender parity in the VC industry and award $250,000 to a high-potential, women-led business.
- $250,000 in funding plus marketing services, including the creation of a customized brand identity platform from Breakaway;
- In-kind prizing from Comcast including a three-month advertising campaign in the Boston DMA; production of one thirty-second commercial; and more;
- $6,000 in email delivery and management services from SendGrid for the winner; $3,000 for each semi-finalist;
- $1,000 in MOO print and design products for the winner, plus $250 for each runner-up;
- Complimentary legal automation services for the winner from Shoobx;
- Use of shared workspace at WeWork for finalists to prepare for the Finale event on September 30
- Bombas merchandise.